Monday, December 28, 2009

"US" in the community....

A couple of my friends and I decided to go and volunteer at the L.A. FoodBank again Saturday morning and boy was it hard work. Yall know the Empress is allergic to manual labor! lol but when it comes to helping others I take my anti-allergy pill. We got the assembly line going, pulled up our sleeves and got to packing cereal, juice, chicken, and whatever else the other end of the line was packing. We packed 2418 of 35 pound crates for the homeless and elderly. There were so many volunteers from the company of Raytheon to High School kids to our little crew of 7 people. It had to be about 500 volunteers there. This warmed the heart of the Empress. I got all bubbly inside but you know what? Something pissed me off! As I looked around I saw so many Asians, Caucasians, Indians and A-rabs but what boiled my bubble was the fact that I could count all the black volunteers on ONE little French-manicured hand! Now yall know that don't make NO sense! Where are we at? Why can't we get involved in a community as a whole? Would I have saw more black folk if it was the Black L.A. Foodbank? I wonder...
Why can't we help each other out as well as ourselves? Yeah I know what someone will say; charity begins at home meaning the black community. But doesn't the whole community consist of our HOME? Now if they were giving away free food or t-shirts or bootleg cds we would have been knee deep into those crates now wouldn't we? If Kanye', Diddy, Alicia Keys or Beyaki were there or maybe even Brit-Brit showing her drawls a lot of us would have been there as well with camera in hand. I say we because I am apart of the black community, too. Its seeming to me that some of us have that "if I ain't gettin' shit, I ain't doing shit" attitude and that's not the way to be folks. And we wonder why no one is pitching in to help our community out. Shit, even worse we ain't helping our own community out either but that's another blog. So what u aint gettin' shit. Just the fact that you helped someone else get ahead a little should make you feel all fuzzy inside. I know I do. Oh my fault... Is it that we don't want others to get ahead...of us? It stupid and its corny and a downright disgrace! Man, some of you people make me wanna trade my race in for another one sometimes. You ever heard of "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mines"? Well gotdamnit go scratch someone's back and I'll personally be there to scratch yours. If you wanna be somebody and if you wanna go somewhere u gotta wake up and pay attention. U gotta get up, get out and do something shit. Please get more involved. Even if its picking up a McDonald's cup on the street that someone pitched or buy a less fortunate child a toy. We have gotta get more involved. Now get out and 'communitize' (my definition for socializing/helping the community) or get the hell offa my friend's list! I don't associate with selfish ass Bamas!

No comments: