Friday, November 5, 2010

Elvada-Seleithia Empress Dominique Devereaux

Growing up in the early 80's as a young Diva-in-Training in Atlanta, my mother was an avid stan of Dynasty. I couldn't, for the life of me, understand all the commotion and ruckus over a rich, white man, his mullet-wearing wife and his bitch of a sister Alexis. I started to watch it with her with very little understanding of a lot of what was going on until She arrived. Dominique Deveraux! The rich, black and elegant looking, mink wearing, no non-sense, kickass DIVA! I soooo thought I looked like her. I was so happy to see a classy sistah on TV. I was so elated. Because of her, I had officially became a stan of Dynasty and The Colby's. One day my teacher called my mother and wanted to know if my mother had re-married or divorced. My mother said, "No" and wanted to know why my favorite teacher (Gwendolyn Hamilton) had asked her such a thing. My momsy was appalled. "Well, Mrs. Woods, I asked because for the past two weeks 'E' has been signing her last name as Deveraux." "What on earth for?", my mother asked. "I thought you could tell me", sayeth Ms Hamilton. Moms told her she would talk to me about it and get back with her. A couple of hours later, the little diva U know as Empress comes prancing into the french doors of the kitchen like I had a million bucks in the bank. My mother asked the normal day-to-day questions like how was my day and all that and then she got to the real deal. She told me my teacher called her today. And me with my hand on my chest like a true Diva says, "Really? What for?"
Mom: Why are you signing your last name Deveraux?

Empress: Cuz my mother's last name is Deveraux.

Mom: Young lady, my last name is Woods!

Empress: You are not my mother Dominique Deveraux is and she's coming to get me when she's done with Blake Carrington (as I pointed to my suitcase already packed for damn near two weeks sitting by the door).

Mom: Is that what that is?

Empress: Yup

Mom: What? You don't want me to be your mother? I had you!

Empress: No, Dominique Deveraux had me and she'll be here when she beats up Alexis.

Mom: Girl stop your foolishness before I go upside your head! That is NOT your mother.

By this time I was frustrated and was crying out of control. My mom sat down, dried my tears and explained to me where I really came from. We settled on her truth and I was ok...so she thinks.

Yes my friends, this marks the beginnings of this Diva.

And this my friends, is a true story



Whatever! My name is Elvada-Seleithia Empress Deveraux. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Hmph...she don't Know me like dat!

//signed//
The Cat's Meow
.

No comments: