Friday, January 15, 2010

GAY IS NOT!

"Man, you wore THAT to work today? That is soooo gay!" "That is so GAY for you to say that!" "That is the GAYEST procedure I've ever heard!" "There was a plane crass the other day that killed 100 people. Wow, that was so GAY." "Buff dudes are so GAY for all of those muscles."
If you are bothered by statements such as these then you and I see eye to eye. If you see nothing wrong and isn't bothered by them at all then YOU, my friend, is GAY! You didn't like me saying that did you? So, are you GAY? GAY is not a replacement word for things that are unfortunate, silly, dumb, stupid, bad or any other negative adjective. How would you feel if someone used your race, name or sexual orientation as a negative connotation? Instead of saying something is so stupid, try using the word ASIAN. Let's not say something is so dumb, but try saying, "That is sooooo HETERO that it ain't funny." Don't say something is so silly anymore but say that it's so 'HISPANIC'! The earthquake in Haiti is not 'unfortunate' but rather (insert YOUR name here) instead. Replace the word 'ignorant' with the word 'black' or 'negro'...angry aren't we?
Derogatory words or statements like these, in my opinion, are used by a hateful or bigoted person or is used out of lack of better vocabulary. If you don't know how to describe something horrible, just use the word GAY instead.....NOT! Try reading a dictionary or utilizing a freaking thesaurus for crying out loud! Expand your damn mind AND your vocabulary. Not only are you politically incorrect but semantically AND morally incorrect. How dare you use one's sexual orientation as a negative remark. Hell, the word was originally derived to describe HAPPY anyway. If you are going to use the word at least have the decency to use it for lively, delightful, gleeful and jovial things you moron!

I'm done venting now but you go and have a very GAY day ya hear:-)

//signed//
The Disgruntled Cat's Meow

4 comments:

Rachel Robinson said...

LOL you are so true. I mean HELLO isn't this 2010? I hear people saying that a lot and it bothers me so I can imagine how I would feel if I was gay. Can't we all just love each other and live in a world of harmony??

Kurt said...

I have mixed feelings about people using the word 'gay' as a derogatory term. I feel it is a term that can be hurtful to others, especially those who are of the LGBT community, and people should be more sensitive and not use the term so openly.
However, me personally, I don't get offended when someone says it around me. If someone says "That's gay!" around me, it doesn't even phase me. Maybe cause I'm just so used to hearing it that it doesn't even phase me. I think it's also because if a friend of mine uses the term, I know they aren't saying it to try and be hurtful towards me. It's just something they've used most of their life and it's just a natural thing for them to say. Like you said, I think it's most likely used out of "lack of a better vocabulary."
Anywho, to make draw this long comment to a close, I think you're completely right and people should try to stop using that term because you never know who you might be offending in the process.

Love your blog Seleithia!

Kurt
KurtStyle.Blogspot.com

1phathoney said...

Gotta Love my Empress! You were right and on point! How very "gay" of you. :) I hate when people use that line to mean something foul. It's up to us as friends and enlightened people to let our "friends" know that crap ain't cool. It owuld be like someone saying oh you did a "Kawana" for real after messing something up big time. get it right people!

Anonymous said...

LOL I agree with all of you. I'm sure to correct my friends when they say this word esp in the presence of a gay person that may or may not be offended. It all starts with correcting one person. As the saying goes, a bucket of water is filled one drop at a time.
Thank U guys for the support.

The Cat's Meow